US Creative Works: featuring 72andSunny, AKQA, Shutterstock and more
Welcome to The Drum’s US Creative Works, supported by Workfront. Dedicated to showing the best creative work in North and South America, we give our readers the chance to decide which work features as our ‘Creative Work of the Week’.
Scroll through the latest work, then click through to the Creative Works site and see what stands out. For project information, creative credits and more, click on the project to expand to full screen and click on the stars to vote.
To submit work for our Creative Works section, fill out this online form.
The winner will be chosen based on the average rating and the number of votes cast. Voting closes on Wednesday, July 18.
Adams Outdoor, Fairway Outdoor: Goodtype ‘Goodtype Tuesday billboard challenge’
Adams+Fairway discovered the challenge and offered to post submissions with the best design, legibility, and messaging. Twenty-two designs were chosen by designers from 11 US states and eight other countries.
From now through September 23, the designs will be featured on over 700 printed and digital billboards in 21 states. They include Brazilian Luis Felipe Barros Cavalcanti’s ‘Don’t Forget to Smile Today’, Valerie Miyasaki, of Kent, Washington’s ‘Keep Looking Up’ and Carmi Grau, from Berlin’s ‘Today is the Day’, among others.
2. Caren Kreger “Stay Afraid, But Do It Anyway” – Livermore, CA – @everyday.hooray
3. Luis Felipe Barros Cavalcanti “Don’t Forget to Smile Today” – Recife, Brazil – @felippecavalcanti
4. Taylor Meyers “Don’t Undersell Yourself” – Akron, OH – @ghostied
5. Tiffany Dewitt “Be the Reason Someone Smiles Today” – St. George, UT – @livelongandletter
6. Huyen Dinh “Equality” – Los Angeles, CA – @misshuyendinh
7. Sanjana Rebecca “You’ll Figure It Out” – Bangalore, India – @sanjanarabbi
8. Valerie Miyasaki “Keep Looking Up” – Kent, WA – @scribblesavvy
9. Stephanie Jung “Live Your Dreams” – Boston, MA – @stephmakesletters
10. Carmi Grau “Today is the Day” – Berlin, Germany – @superniceletters
11. Tim Singleton “Stay Fabulous” – Toronto, Canada – @timpsingleton
12. Vera Vinogradova “Stay True” – Moscow, Russia – @veragrapes
13. Ashley Dreger “You Are a Work of Art” – Vancouver, Canada – @ashdre
14. Magali Vidal “You Got This” – Buenos Aires, Argentina – @mags_vidal
15. Ying Ye “All Feelings are Valid” – Tulsa, OK – @justanotherying
16. Amber Giles “Unplug to Recharge” – Salt Lake City, UT – @flamasterg
17. Ma Elena Bartolome “Evolve/Love” – Philippines – @elenacreates
18. Cynthia Lopez “Stay Strong” – Chesapeake, VA – @cynlopink
19. Josh Carter “Be Cool to Each Other” – Plainsboro, NJ – @jc_superartist
20. Regan Medlinger “Nothing is Out of Reach” – Wichita Falls, TX – @regan.medlinger
21. Caroline Sigmon “Breathe” – Charlotte, NC – @carolineesigmon
22. Michaela White “You Are Simply Magnificent” – Indianapolis, IN – @veggiebombxoxo
BBDO NY: Bacardi ‘Live Moves’
Malia James – Director
Butler, Shine, Stern & Partners (BSSP) : NBA 2K19 ‘A Boy with a Name’
Centered on the notion that NBA players like Antetokounmpo are becoming cultural icons and legends, however the masses don’t always know his name, this initiative aims to highlight his humble beginnings and take fans through his inspirational journey to stardom. A journey which NBA 2K players can emulate through the game, reaching that level of status where one day others will know their name too. Giannis is now a Milwaukee Bucks standout and two-time NBA All-Star, and has earned the nickname “Greek Freak” for his incredible athletic abilities. In addition to phrases which hold significance to Giannis appearing on his Standard Edition cover and video, the video also features a voiceover by his mother, making the piece even more personal.
‘They Will Know Your Name’ campaign first launched on June 5 with the reveal of the NBA 2K19 20th Anniversary Edition featuring cover athlete LeBron James and the introduction of the new NBA 2K19 tagline. That was followed by the release of a mini-documentary featuring newly-drafted basketball star, Trae Young, on June 20 and a stunt at the NBA Draft. Picked #5 overall by the Atlanta Hawks, Young had “They Will Know Your Name” sewn into his suit jacket, which he flashed to the cameras on national TV.
The cover art and video featuring Giannis were created by BSSP, and will be promoted predominately on 2K’s social channels: Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and YouTube. All content will drive fans to pre-order the Standard Edition version which is available September 11.
Sinan Dagli – Creative Director
Zach Shapiro – Senior Art Director
Patrick French – Copywriter
Zack Browne – Copywriter
Vince Genovese – Executive Director of Integrated Production
Jeremy Arth – Senior Producer
Alex Eley – Account Director
Mal Gretz – Account Supervisor
Nico Litonjua – Editor
MK12 – Production Company
One Union Recording – Mix
Matt Zipkin – Engineer
72andSunny Los Angeles: eBay ‘$119 Deals’
Goodby Silverstein & Partners: Cheetos ‘Win What You See’
Goodby Silverstein & Partners’ latest campaign for Cheetos celebrates all the shapes that can be found in a bag of Cheetos. Inspired by the popular Cheetos Museum program and the over 200,000 unique Cheetos shape entries over the past two years, this summer’s program adds a whole new twist. Cheetos has launched a nationwide contest where fans will have a chance to “win what you see” based on the shapes found in their bag of Cheetos. For example, if someone see a Cheetos snack that’s shaped like a guitar, they might be able to win their own electric guitar and concert tickets. If someone sees the shape of a lobster claw they could win a trip to Hawaii for a lobster feast.
To enter, fans will be asked to look for unique and interesting shapes in their bag of Cheetos, then snap a photo and submit to CheetosWinWhatYouSee.com along with their imaginative description of what the Cheetos shape most resembles.
Eight winners will each get their own custom prize package inspired by their submission, and a total of $100,000 in prizes, experiences and merchandise will be awarded.
Client: Frito Lay Cheetos
Ad Agency: Goodby, Silverstein & Partners
Chief Creative Officer, Partner: Margaret Johnson
Creative Director: Jeff Gillette
Associate Creative Director: Kurt Mills
Associate Creative Director: Florian Marquardt
Art Director: Jeff Fang
Copywriter: Jonathan Pelleg
Managing Partner: Brian McPherson
Group Account Director: Meredith Williams
Account Director: Becca Morris
Account Manager: Molly Navalinski
Assistant Account Manager: Sydney Campbell
Brand and Communication Strategy
Head of Brand Strategy: Bonnie Wan
Group Brand Strategy Director: Ralph Paone
Sr. Brand Strategist: Harper Bokum-Fauth
Communication Strategist: Catherine Kim
Business Affairs Manager: Heidi Killeen
Director/Editor: Isaak Le
Director of Photography: Cody Towner
Gaffer: Michael Miller
Line Producer: Sarah Kallas
Agency Producer: Austin Kim
Set Design: Athena Studios, California Model & Design Group
Audio Engineer: Nicholas DeMatteo
Audio Engineer: David Michel-Ruddy
Motion/Design: Jason Jobe
Executive Post Producer: John Dutton
Executive Audio Producer: Luke Dillon